What is an echinococcus?
There are 2 species of echinococci, the one we are going to talk about today is: Echinococcus multilocularis. This species is found throughout the northern half of France and in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe.
Geographical distribution of E. multilocularis in Europe
Precautions to take
- Do not eat wild berries and vegetables without first washing them, and preferably eat them cooked. Note: freezing at -20°C is not enough to destroy echinococcus eggs.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after gardening or petting your dog.
- Do not handle fox corpses.
- Do not feed dogs raw organ meats.
- Deworm dogs exposed to the parasite every 4 to 6 weeks with a product effective against echinococcus
- Deworm dogs that have traveled to high-risk areas during the vacations.
Echinococcal cysts in the liver and lung of a sheep.
Tous les vermifuges ne sont pas efficaces face aux échinocoques
For more information
You can visit the ESCCAP website