Antifreeze: a deadly cocktail

It is highly toxic, due to the chemical component of ethylene glycol, to us and our animals. Its sweet taste makes this product very palatable and it is a product found in radiators and for windshield washers in cars.
This poisoning is more common than you think and can lead to rapid and sudden death for cats and dogs. 2 tablespoons of the product can kill a medium dog, and 1.5 teaspoons can kill a cat. Licking the product off their paws is also fatal. It is therefore advisable, in winter, to take precautions.

  • Do not leave an open antifreeze bottle lying around
  • We put the product out of reach for our animal
  • We mop up the puddles
  • When walking, be careful if your dog insists on going to a certain area, if they want to lick the ground or eat grass (they may have been attracted by antifreeze)


  • The central nervous system, liver and kidneys will be affected.
    The first signs of intoxication appear within an hour or even half an hour after ingestion:

    • Vomiting
    • Nauseas
    • Abdominal contractions
    • Bellyache

    Then, these first symptoms will fade and the animal will be in a state of agitation and intoxication.
    Within 12 to 24 hours, he will go into a coma with some convulsions.
    Within 24 to 48 hours, acute renal failure may develop.

If you suspect poisoning, contact a veterinarian urgently !

For more information please contact us at


For emergencies outside of business hours, call 0475.78.17.39.

You can call our Veterinary Assistants and make an appointment for a consultation on 02/3802492.